Recorded on August 18th, 2017
This is episode 11 recorded on August 18th, 2017 where John & Jason talk about the News in Power BI including Desktop update, a new version of the onPrem Data Gateway & the Power BI Research panel.
John White recently published a couple of posts to help clarify the licensing requirements around the Power BI web part for SharePoint. The first, “What License is Needed to Use the Power BI Web Part?” deals with the nuances of using Power BI Pro vs the Premium licensing model.
The second, “Power BI Embedded is not for Embedding Power BI Reports” discusses the Premium model in Power BI Embedded, and why it’s not appropriate for use with SharePoint.
Recorded August 17th, 2017
This is episode 10 recorded on August 17th, 2017 where we talk about the new Power BI licensing model & Microsoft Ignite.
- The new licensing model & its implications
- Had different features & limitations (storage, refresh, sharing, and data access)
- Free (but licensed)
- Included sharing dashboard
- Gave access to underlying Reports in read-only
- Pro ($10 per user per month)
- Free (but licensed)
- Power BI Pro
- Share & Collaborate
- Build dashboards that deliver a 360-degree, real-time view of the business
- Collaborate on share data
Audit and govern how data is accessed and used
- Package content and distribute to users with apps
- Power BI Premium
- Scale large deployments
- Distribute and embed content without purchasing per-user licenses
- Publish reports on-premises with Power BI Report Server
- Unlock more capacity and higher limits for your Pro users
Recorded August 3rd, 2017
In this episode, John and Jason look talk about about SQL Server 2017 RC2, PowerApps, and updates to the Power BI service.
- SQL Server 2017 RC2 Now available – https://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver2017
- Remember, Data Tools and SSRS are now separate downloads
- In July SSRS released an RC – No RC2 of SSRS as of recording
- Difference between SSRS and PBI Report Server
- Power BI Web part still says Preview
- Office theme to Power BI Theme conversion tool
- Power BI turns 2 years old
- Power App/Power BI integration. App tiles in dashboards, and Dashboard tiles in apps
- Service Updates – https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-service-and-mobile-july-feature-summary/
- Dashboard performance inspector
- Snowflake and SAP BusinessWarehouse now supported for On Prem DirectQuery
- You can switch a dashboard to “phone view” and optimize for phones
- SP Fest appearance
- Ignite – Sept 26, 2:00 PM somewhere in the Orange County convention center
Recorded July 14, 2017
In this episode, John and Jason look specifically the July 2017 updates to Power BI in the Desktop, the service, and to the On-Premises Data Gateway. Additionally, we talk about the fact that in September, we’ll be recording in front of a live audience at the Microsoft Ignite conference in Orlando!
What’s in the new Power BI Desktop Client
– Table & matrix visual
– Custom visuals store
New On-Premises Data Gateway in July
– Keeps the mashup (Power Query) engine in sync with Desktop update
No changes to the new Premium licensing SKU yet for Power BI
Power BI Reporting Server licensing questions
Microsoft Workplace Analytics goes General Availability
Power BI web part is GA, but it still says”Preview” in the service. What’s up with that?
Recorded June 13, 2017
After a long hiatus, Jason and John are back with the podcast! The format has changed, and now it’s audio-only (for the moment at least) and we’re trying to keep it down to a consumable 30 minutes.
In this re-launching episode both Jason and John were in Johannesburg for the Share conference, and took the opportunity to discuss all of the important announcements coming out of the Microsoft Data Analytics summit, which was happening half a world away in Seattle.
Topics discussed include:
– Changes to the Power BI Free and Pro SKU
– Announcement of additional tiers of Premium Pricing for Power BI
– General Availability of the Power BI Web Part for SHarePoint Online
– Changes to the Power BI Embedded platform
– Power BI Reporting Server
– Power Apps and Flow integration with Power BI